Friday, February 9, 2018

Running...a pain in my SHINS

I completed my second run the other day. I did basically the same running plan but it was grueling. I had a lot of muscle soreness from the first day of running. But the worst part about it was how bad my shin splints were. If you have ever had shin splints, you may know the agonizing pain that makes you detest running. I have dealt with them most of my life, discovering that I had a problem when I started playing soccer at age 9.
I have always had problems with my feet. When I was only two years old my doctor had me wear special shoes. I think it was because I have flat feet and they rolled inward. I also think I have weak ankles. I have always had trouble with activities that require a lot of ankle strength such as ice skating and roller skating.
Anyway, this particular day I felt it almost immediately after I started running and I had to stop after only the second cycle of running/walking because I was starting to limp. I really didn't stretch before I started to run and I know better. So I decided to do a couple of warm up exercises that have helped me in the past with shin pain. The first one is just ankle rotations. I sit down and put one ankle over the other leg and then manually rotate my feet in circles, both ways. The second one is to stretch out my Achilles heel. I place my hands on the ground with my legs stretched out behind me. Then I bring my feet closer and raise my hips in the air, flattening one foot at a time as much as I can to stretch out the back of my heel. An alternative way to do this stretch is to stand with the front part of your foot on a step or stairs. Allow the back part of your foot to hang off the edge and stretch down. Do this with one foot at a time to maximize the stretch. After just completing these two exercise I resumed my run and felt almost 100% better right away!
Besides, warming up before your workout, I have found that the best thing I can do to prevent shin splints is to have good quality running shoes. I was raised to be pretty frugal but my mom always taught me to take care of my feet and shoes were one things she deemed worth paying more money for better quality. I buy my running shoes at a local shop that will give you special attention and actually make recommendations based on the shape of your feet. They will also, watch you walk and run in the shoes to make sure you get the proper style for your foot. I find that the service and advice you get from a place like this is worth the extra money you might have to pay.
 Even if I start gradually, if I haven't been exercising regularly for a while the occurrence of shin splints is almost inevitable. Whenever I start running again, I end up looking for more ways to prevent or treat shin splints. Here is some advice I have found recently. Stephanie Smith wrote an article in Men's Fitness magazine recommending that you shorten your stride and wear orthotic supports in your shoes. A Couple of resources I have read suggest that weak hips, things or buttocks can contribute to shin splints. Prevention magazine shows you how you can do some side leg lifts to strengthen your hips.
Overall, proper foot health and maintenance is crucial if you want to be a runner. The severe pain of shin splints can be a major deterrent but some simple steps could help you prevent them. Of course, if they persist you should always consult a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment