Saturday, March 3, 2018

Gut Feelings

Throughout my life I have had struggles with depression. I have a tendency to be really hard on myself. Then when I experience loss or rejection it can be devastating. I have at times been on antidepressant medication but find that usually I don't need that level of treatment. I have seen counselors a few times, like in college, but also find that I only need a few sessions to get back on track. Or sometimes, it seems not to be helpful. Not that I believe therapy isn't effective, but I also have a Master's degree in psychology and so I know too much about the process already. For me, I know that the best treatment is about exercise, eating healthy and getting plenty of rest. The same basic things I have been focusing on for this health blog.
I was reading a magazine the other day with some tips about depression and it reminded me of some lesser known ways to combat depression. One was the relationship between gut health to depression. I know all too well how a diet that is high in processed carbohydrates can tank my mood to all time lows. Not to mention, the effect it has on my energy and my ability to concentrate. Familiar with the phrase "sugar coma?" When you eat a high carb meal you just want to sleep. And although that my sound ok on Thanksgiving, it is not a  good practice on a daily basis.   Read more about food-induced inflammation and how it effects your brain here: http://kellybroganmd.com/depression-starts-in-your-gut/. One thing I learned form the article is that the herb turmeric works as a better antidepressant than Prozac!
Incorporating fiber into your diet and taking a probiotic daily can improve your mood. In fact, a 2015 study in Brain, Behavior and Immunity indicated that those who took a probiotic for 4 weeks showed reduced sad moods and even decreased in rumination and aggression!  I am a HUGE ruminator. I obsess about the past, beat myself up over and over again for my mistakes. And I know there are therapeutic exercises I can lead myself through, but what if I just had a better diet and didn't have to battle the thoughts? I have already started to exercise more regularly, running 2-3 times per week and doing yoga on the other days. But I realized I need to step it up with my fiber. Not to mention that I hate having constipation!
For over 10 years I have had a membership with a company that sells health products and natural household cleaners. I have taken fiber supplements and probiotics off and on but didn't realize how much they can do to combat depression. So I decided to take them every day again. And within just these couple of days I do feel better. The probiotic I take is called Florify, and has seven different bacterial flora including the 5 most highly recommended probiotics according to Theresa Borchard at Everyday Health.
The fiber supplement I take is called Fiberwise and it has twice the fiber of Metamucil or the equivalent of  cups of broccoli! We love broccoli at our house, but not that much! It also includes it's own blend of herbs, antioxidants and probiotics to help aid digestion. I have found Fiberwise to be better tasting that other supplements as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment