Monday, March 12, 2018

Awesome run today!

An amazing thing happened yesterday. I ran/walked 2.5 miles! My previous run/walk had only been 1.75 miles 4 days prior and I worked three nights in a row before the run.


I was going to run my usual cycles at the YMCA of 2 laps running and 1 walking. Last time I had done 9 cycles plus an extra walking lap to total 28 laps. So, I have been trying to increase by one cycle of 3 laps each time I run. Unfortunately I had a pretty intense bout of depression and didn't run on Wednesday like I had planned so I was behind. So this time I felt it would be good to increase to 11 rounds to make up for it. After the 11th round I really felt like I could just keep going so I thought about trying to keep going until I just couldn't do anymore. But I realized that might not be a very good idea since I had to work a night shift again that night. So I decided that 13 rounds with an extra running lap would make an even 40 laps and 2.5 miles.


I am so happy and proud of myself! I have a lot of issues with flat feet, weak ankles and shin splints every time I run. I was afraid I wasn't increasing my distance enough and wouldn't be able to make the distance for the 5K next weekend but now I don't think it will be any problem. And this time was no different. My ankles and shins were killing me in the beginning and I thought it was going to be difficult to finish. But as  I ran my muscles started to loosen up and halfway through I actually felt better and was running faster.


I do have to say though that I jog really slowly in general. But I don't really care as long as I am being active and pushing myself to progress. I realize too that I have always been more of an endurance athlete. When I swam competitively throughout grade school my events were the 100 yard butterfly, the 200 IM and the 500 freestyle. When I swam I was never very fast, but sometimes it just seemed like I could keep going and going for a long time at the same pace. I could go the distance. So it makes sense that I may not be a fast runner, but I keep a good pace and maybe I will be able to go farther. Someday I'd like to try to run the Iron Horse half marathon in October. Maybe I should make that my goal this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment